Friday, August 23, 2013

Writing a good Plot

plotoutline

A plot is probably the most important part of a story. It is the actual story. Good characters can only redeem a poor plot so much.

A plot all begins with an idea. Where these ideas come from I'm not sure. Maybe we all have our personal muse looking out for us. Mine sure has a strange sense of humor.

I find it hard to explain how an idea turns into a plot. I organize my story in my head so I know what is coming or just start writing and see where it goes. Some people write everything out before they start the actual story.

This site shows how to create a plot outline.http://www.how-to-write-a-book-now.com/plot-outline.html

When I write a story I make sure that the character and therefore the reader sees hints of what is coming. As the tension develops in the story, so does the plot. When I write I don't really concentrate on all of the parts that make up a plot. I go back through before I'm finished making sure my plot makes sense.

A conclusion has to wrap things up satisfactorily. It doesn't matter as much how many pages it takes as long as the story seems over. There is a delicate balance between leaving the reader wanting more and leaving them feeling cheated.

How do you develop a plot? Do you write out a whole summary or do you only know the basics before you start a story?

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! I usually start with a general premise and some characters. Then I find that my characters will provide the rest of the plot, fleshing out the gaps with backstory and motivations. My characters create the plot, which I'm grateful for :) Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My characters seem to have minds of their own deciding where the story will go. Thank you. Good luck with your writing as well.

    ReplyDelete