Saturday, August 24, 2013

An Original Idea

originalidea

One of the biggest problems nowadays is having an original plot. I wonder if the ancient Greeks thought that all the stories had been told. People often say that today, though I don't believe it is true. There may be fewer ideas left out there, but they can't ever be all used up.

I used to think I could only write a story if it was completely original. This became a problem. I'd get a good idea, but then I'd read or watch something and find them too similar, so I'd scrap my story. I realized that if I continued to do this I would never write anything. As much as I want to write a totally original story I had to understand that no matter how original I think my story is, there is going to be something out there that is somewhat similar.

Everyone is influenced by what they have seen and what they have read. No two stories can be the same, being told by two different individuals.

3 comments:

  1. Hey I hear ya. Your post makes me think of this video series called "Everything is a Remix." It touches on the same thing you are, only with music and melodies throughout history. Pretty cool stuff if you're interested:
    http://everythingisaremix.info/watch-the-series/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every plot is similar. You cant get around the fact that there are only a few variations of the ancient Greek/Shakespearian themes.

    How you tell that plot is uniquely individual. Your story may start in the same place as 100 Billion other stories. But only you add the twists and turns. Your characters are different than every other character because you are basing their characteristics on human differences. Most importantly there is only one voice like yours in all Creation and it belongs to you.

    If you and I have the same plot, characters, twists and turns. The story will not be the same because we have different voices. We would choose different words and we see the world differently. It has taken me a long time to realize this.

    Also, it is perfectly okay to "borrow" an idea from another writer. You can't take their story but you can borrow an idea because the idea will be change as you add plot twists, character motivations and your voice.

    I am borrowing a idea from Tom Clancy's book Rainbow Six. I have a secret organization of special forces operatives who travel the world just as he did. My Also I have a jungle scene that borrows on the idea from this book where the bad guys are released into the jungle.

    But, that is as far as the borrowing will go. My team and characters are totally different than the characters in Clancy's book. My motivations and plot twists are different from the plot in Clancy's book. And my voice is totally different to his. I am sure a student of Mr. Clancy would be able to spot the similarities but to the casual reader, they will never know.

    While my work borrows on a couple of his themes, he borrowed the idea from others and so on. It is okay to borrow and I promise you will be original once your story takes off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks downthealiway, I'll check it out.

    robakers That was a clever way to illustrate your point on how you can barrow from another writer. It's amazing how different two people's voices can be.

    You've made me curious to read your book now, though I've never read Clancy. Is your book finished?

    ReplyDelete