Saturday, August 17, 2013

Characters and their flaws

imperfection

In order to make characters well rounded and have them feel like real people they can't be perfect, they need flaws.

I think it is easier to give characters flaws than strengths you don't possess. Even if I'm not afraid of something my characters still can be. I'm currently facing the problem of giving my character a good sense of direction, whereas I have none. I am doing this by making detailed maps and writing down directions so I can make it seem like she knows where she's going.

Some character faults can seem cliched such as clumsiness. When I write a character doing something I have actually done it somehow seems less credible. What are some good character faults?

4 comments:

  1. I always love Sherlock Holmes. He is an absolute genius, his mind is pure brilliance, yet he has absolutely no social skills whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. It should be pretty easy for me to create a character who's socially awkward, since I rather am. I'm also a Sherlock Holmes fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The modern adaptation of Sherlock with Benedict Cummerbatch is so good it depresses me that it was not a world-wide phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the BBC Sherlock for the first time this summer. I was a bit cynical of a modern day Sherlock (Elementary), but I was pleasantly surprised. It was well written and I enjoyed it. Now I want more episodes! lol

    ReplyDelete