Tuesday, August 27, 2013

How to write

justwrite
Mr. King got it exactly right. When I begin a story there are no charts or maps, I haven't plotted out a summary, I just sit down and start writing. I like to write my story from beginning to end, but sometimes I get a good idea for a chapter, so stop everything else and write it down.

This is why it is hard to tell someone how to write. There are as many ways to write as there are people. Everyone has their own method. The trick is to figure out what works for you.

So, here's my advice. Step One: Read a lot of books. Step Two: Write.

Anything you read about how to write starts with writing. If you are self conscious don't save it, though this may be good for a laugh later. Just write.

The reason why when I find a good author I can't find any others like them is because, there aren't any. They are one of a kind with their own unique voice. This is what I hope to one day achieve.

How do you write best? Isolated and quiet or in a noisy room, the music blaring away or in a park outside? To me it doesn't matter, I go into myself, tuning out the rest of the world (Sometimes to the annoyance of those around me) and write.

No comments:

Post a Comment