Sunday, August 25, 2013

What makes a character a person?

characters

It isn't knowing their entire history or being able to picture exactly what they look like. It is feeling as though you know the character. Something happens and you know how that character would react, how they would feel, what they would think. As a writer I have to know my characters this well, but it would be boring if I wrote out all the ins and outs of my characters. 

So how does a writer get across enough of a character's personality? By showing them in different settings, showing the kind of person they are, and hearing the thoughts inside their heads. Their personality needs to be consistent, though they can grow as a person as all people do.

A character cannot be unfailable, they cannot be perfect. They cannot be pure evil or pure good, for people don't come that way. They have goals and dreams, fears and weaknesses. Sometimes it is a characters quirks that make them the most likable.

A pet peeve of mine is cookie-cutter characters that are a walking stereotype. In fantasy this is the solider, the thief, and the wizard. One can write these characters, but there has to be more to them than what they are. I think what makes a good writer a great writer is having realistic side characters as well as main characters.

What do you think makes for the best characters?

2 comments:

  1. I try to have some type of basic back story for every character that I introduce in my book. Everyone has a goal or motivation. I see my job is to give the character a opportunity to grab whatever they desire and then to either grant or deny their efforts. My characters hate me because I am ruthless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know all of their back stories, but I find it isn't always necessary to write all in a story. My problem is I'm too nice to my characters. I need to learn to be more ruthless.

    ReplyDelete