Saturday, April 19, 2014

Book Review ~ Angelbound By Christina Bauer

angelbound

Sorry for not posting last week. We had some major storms here in Michigan and I didn’t have power for a few days. The good news is with not much else to do I read the entire Maze Runner Trilogy. I’ve saved that review for next week though, because I read a better (and less known) book on Thursday.

I don’t know what it is about me and tail fascination. I’ve just always wanted one. So naturally the reason Angelbound caught my eye is the main character has a tail. (The author actually uses her tail to show emotion and humor too.)

Angelbound is told in a fun voice with plenty of humor and I liked the strong sassy heroine, Myla. It might just be me, (because I couldn’t pry the book out of my fingers to go to bed.) but this book was a quick read. I think Angelbound will appeal to fans of the Mortal Instruments.

Myla is a quasi demon (meaning part human) living in purgatory. Around twenty years ago demons invaded purgatory and left ghouls running things. Myla’s mom is super over-protective and won’t say anything about her life before the war with the demons or even about Myla’s father.

Myla spends most of her time at school, but every so often she’s called to duty. When a soul enters purgatory they can choose trial by combat. Since she was twelve Myla’s been required to fight to the death in the arena against theses souls. As the best fighter they save the nastiest ones for her, but she’s not your typical almost eighteen year-old. She enjoys her battles in the arena, particularly when it’s against a demon and she keeps extensive notebooks on how to beat the various demon races.

Myla’s best friend Cissy (who has the tail of a golden retriever, yes it does wag when she’s happy. Okay, enough about tails...) has a huge crush on a boy at school, so when said boy invites Myla and a guest to his party she can’t say no. At the party, abandoned by her friend, Myla meets the frustrating prince Lincoln. He’s a demon hunter who thinks all quasis are evil, but Myla can’t stop thinking about him and not just about punching him. Well, that too.

Romance is a strong part of this book and it’s well done. (I only wish we’d gotten to see all of their conversation in the maze instead of hearing about it afterwards...) There’s really only one make-out session that makes this an older YA book, but other than that it’s pretty light.

Angelbound has interesting characters and good world building. The plot is a bit predictable, but that isn’t always a bad thing. There are a few slow spots towards the beginning, but I’m glad I kept reading, because it quickly picks up. I did notice several errors, but I’m very nit picky about that sort of thing and often find such in books.

I give Angelbound 7/10 stars and would definitely recommend this book. (I can’t wait until the sequel comes out next month!) Buy it on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Have you read any good books lately?

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting book, and I love tails, too! I always wish I could have my cat's tail. They're just so expressive. I haven't actually heard of the Maze Runner Trilogy, so I look forward to your review next week. Always on the lookout for new books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're making the first book in the Maze Runner trilogy into a movie sometime this year. I always like to read the book first.

    Thanks. :) hehe Glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete