Saturday, February 8, 2014

Chapter Titles ~ Teasers, but not spoilers.

angels take manhatten

This week’s topic is brought to you by Doctor Who, proving that you can find inspiration anywhere you look.

(In the future River Song will write a book, but the Doctor and company can’t read ahead, because if you know something is going to happen in the future, you insure that it will.)

Amy Pond: “But if River's going to write that book she'd make it useful, yeah?”

River Song: “Well I'll certainly try. But we can't read ahead, it's too dangerous.”

Amy Pond: “I know, but there must be something we can look at.”

The Doctor: “What, a page of handy hints? Previews, spoiler-free.”

Amy Pond: “Chapter titles.”

So many books right now only number the chapters, but I find that rather boring, so I’ve been naming mine. Right now, the titles are only to help me navigate my novel, but I’m trying to make them more into teasers for the chapter. (The way TV show writers do for episode titles.)

I don’t want to spoil anything with my chapter titles, because that's often the first thing I read when I pick up a book. It’s not easy coming up with sixty clever phrases, (fun though) and if I do my job right, just reading the chapters will make people want to read my book. (At least that’s what I’m hoping.)

Chapter titles are also a good opportunity to show the voice of a novel. Is the book humorous? This is a good place to show that off.

My first chapter is called Born of two worlds. (One down, fifty-nine more to name.)

Do you name your chapters or just use numbers? Which do you prefer while reading?

3 comments:

  1. I use both numbers and chapter titles. Sometimes, for now, since I working on editing the first draft, its the first line of the chapter. But mostly chapter titles, one to three words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chapter titles. I think they provide another layer to the story, and I find it's easier to find my favorite parts when there are titles =) Back about ten years ago I was naming every chapter and having a grand time of it, but then I started editing and everything changed so I had to toss out some favorite titles. For now I've given up on them, but I hope to use them when my editing is done. Maybe in another decade or so. Editing can be so hard! And I love the title of your first chapter. It sounds perfect for a chapter 1. Good luck with the other 59!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth- Good thinking not struggling to name them the first time through, saves you work in the long run. I started out trying to name then, but then I got into the writing and wound up with titles like return home.

    Katpersephone,
    Yeah, that's how my chapter titles wound up as descriptions.

    Ugh, I can totally relate to your editing pain. Just when I think I'm on my final edit I find all these other things I want to change and add.

    haha Thanks, it only took me a year to name the first chapter, so it may take a while.

    ReplyDelete