Saturday, November 2, 2013

NaNoWriMo - Sounds strange, so what is it?

Image

November is national novel writing month. The goal: Write 50,000 words in thirty days.

So, why join? It’s fun, meant to encourage good writing habits and you can make new writing friends and improve your writing together.

Is there a prize? Yes, you wrote a 50k story.

The magic number is 1667, meaning that’s how many words you have to write every day to make the goal. I’d say, write as much as you can, don’t think you’re there and stop. Plus, there are some days where the words just won’t come no matter how you force them. It happens to us all.

Writers are creative people, so we are great at excuses.

I can’t handle the stress. It’s nothing to stress about, you aren't out anything if you fail. November isn’t a good month, I know. I’m hoping to get a bit ahead of my word count for Thanksgiving.

I missed the first day. You can start at any time, even half way through November. There’s nothing wrong with being a bit behind, happens to me often. You can still take advantage of the event.

I don’t have a summary. You don’t need a summary. I don’t usually have a one anyway. Create a world, create characters, give them a problem, and let them go. My characters write the story I just record it.

Try to write everyday and before you know it, you will have a novel, or at least a novelette, as 50k doesn’t really make a novel anymore. (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is about that long.)

Please add me as a buddy and we can help encourage one another.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/mollymortensen

What do you think of the idea of NaNoWriMo?

My biggest problem with the idea is you aren’t supposed to edit, just write. I’m afraid I’m too OCD to leave something I don’t like or I know needs fixing.

There are special offers for free ebooks and discounts on software downloads for participants and winners. Check out this page to see them all. http://nanowrimo.org/sponsor-offers

2 comments: